Asphalt shingles remain one of the most popular roofing materials available today. But the shingles alone don’t make up the entirety of the roof system. It’s actually a layered arrangement of components working together to protect your home from severe weather damage. Hunterdon Siding & Window Company, the trusted expert in roofing and siding installation, shares what makes up a complete asphalt shingle roof.
1. Starter strip shingles. These are the primary row of shingles installed at the eaves, and are critical for correct roof installation. Starter strip shingles not only helps prevent the material from blowing off during windstorms, they also reduce the potential of water infiltration.
2. Hip and Ridge Products. These refer to shingles installed at the hip and ridge of the system, providing it with a lovely, finished look. Like starter strip shingles, they also protect the roof from leak formation.
3. Asphalt Shingles. These are the most visible parts of the roof. Asphalt shingles generally come with a fiberglass base mat and a coating of protective mineral granules to better resist extreme weather conditions, whether they are blistering heat, heavy rainfall, high winds, or hailstorms. The thicker the shingle, the better the quality and weather performance. Asphalt shingles are also available in a wide selection of colors and textures. They can even mimic the premium look and feel of wood shakes and slate, allowing them to match beautifully with your home’s siding.
4. Underlayment. This component provides an additional layer of protection between the wooden roof decking and asphalt shingles, protecting the system from water infiltration. The roofing underlayment is available in asphalt-saturated, organic, and rubberized asphalt choices.
5. Ice and Water Barriers. Also known as flashing, ice and water barriers cover the more leak-prone spots of your asphalt shingle roof, including the area around chimneys, dormers, valleys, skylights, and vents.
6. Proper Ventilation. To prevent heat and moisture buildup in the attic, your roof will need sufficient ventilation. Otherwise, the trapped heat and moisture can compromise the roof structure, encourage the growth of mold and mildew, and reduce energy efficiency in your home.
Aside from siding replacement, Hunterdon Siding & Window Company can handle your roof installation needs. As a GAF® Master Elite® roofer, we offer the high-quality GAF Lifetime Roofing System, which comes with all the key components needed in an asphalt shingle roof. You can also benefit from the solid warranty coverage included with this option. We serve Lebanon, NJ and other areas in the Hunterdon and Somerset Counties. Call us today at (908) 735-0809 or fill out this contact form to schedule your roof evaluation.